Narrative in documentary

 

I've decided for my documentary, I won't have a linear structure but I'll have some parts of the documentary where I specifically focus on one person and there opinion.
My documentary won't be that expositional, I might use a bit of voice over but I'm not going to use it all the way throught my documentary and also I'll be using someone else's voice to narrate to make it suitable.
The theme of my documentary is definitely about fashion, but more specificly it's about how I want to show the audience the differences between Western and Asian culture and how fashion (clothes) is presented (differences and similarities). However I might also consider using more experimental narrative techniques such as montage, this is becuase I think it will be really interesting and creative.

These are examples I could use...
Applying narrative theories to my documentary, for example, Todorov - Equilibrium, Disruption, Recognition of Disruption, Attempt to Repair, New Equilibruim
Levi Strauss - Binary Oppositions
Barthes - Enigma Codes, Action Codes, Symbolic codes, etc
Propp - Hero, Mentor, Dispatcher, Villian etc

Comments